Ok, so some people were a little worried about the status of the blog after my cryptic messages and stuff. So here is what happened: I walk into a professor's office yesterday because he had requested a meeting with me. He is the man who is in charge of all of the internships, and everyone loves him. Showing on his computer screen is the blog I've been writing. He tells me that it was "brought to his attention" that I have a blog, and that I may have said stuff that could be damaging to the my internship, wherever that may be. I wonder what stuff it could have been? Maybe the stuff I wrote about working with people who have differing opinions than me? Or maybe it was something about our boy Barack Obama? Probably the latter, but who knows. All he told me was that someone else had tipped him off about my blog, and that all he could do is "advise" me to "edit" (read: censor) some of my comments. I asked him who had told him about my blog, and he refused to say.
I left his office extremely embarrassed and thought about what to do the rest of the day. I changed the settings on my blog from my ipod in the bathroom of he London Center. Classy. After reflecting about what happened, I decided to heed his warnings and take some of my comments down. In hindsight, as this professor pointed out, the people I am working with could have misread some of my comments, or not been appreciate being quoted. I sent this professor a delicately worded email explaining how inappropriate I think it is for a member of the University to actively search my name for information. In order for my blog to have been passed on up the ND ladder, someone in the administration could have been looking for information about me (without knowing I was saying disagreeable things about politics). I am sure none of my few but loyal readers would have sent my blog link to anyone who would send this to the associate director.
So, moral of the story is, never say anything that your professors or co-workers could possibly disagree with, especially if you find yourself on the right side of the aisle. And if you are reading this blog and you know you shouldn't be, I would kindly ask you to contact me for a private discussion.
Tuesday, 26 January 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh! I admit it! It was me! I just was so jealous of all the cool stuff you get to do! (haha, just kidding. I agree with you. WTF?)
ReplyDelete