Thursday, 21 January 2010

Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife ...



Last night after flat dinner we cracked open a bottle of wine and a 3 liter of Sainsbury (a grocery store here) brand cider. We started playing Asshole with the very alcoholic beverages. Needless to say, none of us made it out. I woke up this morning and decided to go back to the British Museum since I had the day off (since I do not begin Parliament until Tuesday). Lizzie and I visited the upper galleries of the museum, featuring ancient Greek and Roman artifacts. I kept looking for a statue of Russell Crowe from Gladiator along with the other emperors, but I guess the museum people thought that would not be appropriate.

After the museum I walked by myself to the grocery store along a new route without getting lost. Hooray for Charlie's sense of direction. I did feel weird walking down a creepy looking alley, though. I watched PMQ's from Wednesday and then went for a long run down Farringdon to Victoria's Embankment. Running along the Thames up to Big Ben was very exhilirating. I think I ran about 2 minutes faster than I usually do. We had to go into class to watch The Queen, a movie about Queen Elizabeth II after Di's death. I thought it would be dumb, but it was actually very moving. I would highly reccomend it to anyone who has not seen it. Witnessing the interaction between Blair and the monarch was interesting, since we have no such issues in America. It makes me sort of wish we had a royal family, although that would sortof defeat the idea behind America in the first place, but I digress.

TJ and I wlaked back from the London Center and had a pint at City Pride, the same pub we ate at on our first night. They were doing trivia again, and the announcer asked what the largest city in the largest American state was, followed by "There are at least 2 blokes sitting at the bar who know the answer to that question." They also asked who the three presidents who are referred to by their 3 initials were, and said that the Americans would be willing to give the answers in exchange for a free pint. Unfortunately, there were no takers. (For anyone struggling: Anchorage, FDR, JFK, LBJ). I have my first Intro to London Theater class tomorrow, which should be fun. I may go out tonight for a bit, since lots of kids do not have class tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Today a student of mine asked me what were some differences between British and American English. I had a few words to tell him, but have you heard anything else?

    ReplyDelete