Tuesday, 16 March 2010

So Bill Gates, God, and the Devil walk into a bar ...

I'll take a quick break from Spring Break to blog about my day at work, since I want to write it down for my journal I have to turn in.

I got into work a bit early and found the usual stack of papers on my desk with postcards and a few letters from constituents. I also had mail addressed to me about training in the House of Commons Library. I was really excited to see my name printed on HOC letterhead. I cranked out a couple of new responses regarding dog meat in the Philippines and some other stuff fairly quickly. It used to take me forever to research the issues in these letters, but I am getting much better and understanding the feel and tone I need to present in the letters. After taking care of the diary business, I looked up some jokes for a speech my boss was doing at a dinner later that night.

Since the dinner was for IT professionals, an interest of my boss, we looked up jokes concerning government and computers and the Internet. It was actually hard looking up relevant jokes that would be funny to IT professionals in this context. We came up with a few one-liners about Bill Gates and then went to lunch. We talked about my trip to Europe and our RyanAir debacle. Everyone seems to have their own two cents about how we should react to our despicable treatment last Monday. My poli sci professor seemed to like Ryan Air since theu lower the market, forcing other airline prices down and opening up travel to a whole new customer base. I must say this is true, but I found it funny that one of my bosses was sure to note that the Airline is based in Dublin and has nothing to do with the UK. Seems like it's good that RyanAir is there, for other people to use. We also talked about St. Patrick's Day in England -- apparently it's not really a holiday here. I gently explained the different Notre Dame activities we usually partake in on St. Patty's, given that we are the Fighting Irish and all. Thankfully I do not have to be in Parliament tomorrow, if you know what I mean.

After lunch I moved through a folder of papers my manager asked me to do discreetly, since it was work he was supposed to finish the week before. Most of it was policy correspondence on various issues like tree protection and encouraging sustainable driving or something liek that. I tackled most of the work fairly efficiently. I also finally got my own Parliamentary email and password, so I can send stuff from a fancy account now. Until the election is called, I will be going in three days a week, for less time on Monday and Thursday, since my class schedule has changed with the fine arts switchover. Hopefulyl I will be more engrossed in the work buy going in more often.

After work I went home and made dinner for Peter, Colin, and Matt, and Coleen and I went back to the Old Cheshire Cheese to have dinner with some of her friends from New York who were in to visit. I learned a lot of gossip about her high school days, and her friends seemed to enjoy the quintessential English pub atmosphere of the Cheese. The bartender poured her beer the wrong way, so we got an extra pint of Sam Smith's Organic Wheat. I passed the first friend test for Coleen, which is good I guess. I can only imagine if my friends from home came to visit London. We would light the place up I am sure. But I guess they will have to live vicariously through me byreading my blog. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Tomorrow should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment