Monday night I studied for Macro a bit and then went to the Exmouth Arms for our student-negotiated drink specials. The bartenders there are awesome. Tuesday I didn't have work because of recess, so I stayed in all day and worked on a few papers and caught up on homework. Every time I heard the office talk about recess last week, I kept imagining my boss and the rest of Parliament shouting "Receeesssssss!!!" at the top of their lungs and running around the House of Commons with their arms flailing and everyone giggling loudly like they were in grade school. Sadly that's not how recess works here. I finally left the flats at about 6:30 to trek off to Hammersmith, a western suburb, for our show for theater class. TJ, David, and I misjudged the time it took to get all the way to the end of the tube line, and we had to sprint from the tube stop to the Lyric Hammersmith theatre to make it on time.
Wednesday, 17 February 2010
Time flies when you're complaining about stuff
It's almost two in the morning here, but I'm not tired, so I figured I'd journal about the past few days before I lose it into the depths of my memory. Monday images class was pretty useless. Sometimes Professor Janes talks to us like children. The class was about being Muslim in Britain. Yes we know what Muslims are, Professor. Anyway politics class was entertaining as usual. Professor Heffernan gave the class pretty much the same lecture he gave the interns about partisanship and why the parties are strong here, so class was pretty easy. I would love to take this guy out for drinks, because his stories are fabulous. I think the interns are planning on doing that at the end of the semester. In our intern class we talked about constituency correspondance and all the crazy letters our MPs get. Our letters are tame compared to some of the conspiracy theorists the other interns get.
Monday night I studied for Macro a bit and then went to the Exmouth Arms for our student-negotiated drink specials. The bartenders there are awesome. Tuesday I didn't have work because of recess, so I stayed in all day and worked on a few papers and caught up on homework. Every time I heard the office talk about recess last week, I kept imagining my boss and the rest of Parliament shouting "Receeesssssss!!!" at the top of their lungs and running around the House of Commons with their arms flailing and everyone giggling loudly like they were in grade school. Sadly that's not how recess works here. I finally left the flats at about 6:30 to trek off to Hammersmith, a western suburb, for our show for theater class. TJ, David, and I misjudged the time it took to get all the way to the end of the tube line, and we had to sprint from the tube stop to the Lyric Hammersmith theatre to make it on time.
The play, The Three Sisters, was an adaptation of the old Checkov masterpiece, and by golly was it awful. Seriously it was the worst production I have ever seen. Senior Follies at SLUH was more professional than this. It was supposed to be a modern adaptation of the play, but it failed in pretty much every respect. The plot line was disjointed, the stage manager walked through the set a few times (I guess it was supposed to be trendy) and the sound board was visible on stage right. They played really weird mashup music at changeover intervals. If Girl Talk were alive in the 20's, these are the mashups he would have made. Half the class left at intermission, including our professor who had already seen the rest of it. About ten of us stayed including me. I figured I only had one chance to make it out to Hammersmith so I might as well stick around. I got some coffee to get me through the second half, which was better than the first, but still lacking coherence and way too avant-garde for me. You win some you lose some I guess. At least the little square it was in was kindof cool and trendy looking. The tube ride home went by real fast, because we were all ripping on the play the whole way back. That part was fun.
Today I struggled through Philo without my mocha (decided to forgo due to Ash Wednesday) and then took the Macro test, which turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. We then had a program mass at the London Center and got ashes. Coleen cooked salmon for dinner and I stayed in to work on some theater reviews. Tomorrow we are planning on doing an Ale Trail around our flats. There is a website with different pub crawls in London that take you to historical spots. It should be a fun time. We will start in the afternoon so we can make it home in time to pack for Ireland (yeah, TJ and I are going to Dublin on Friday for Kristin's birthday) and eat dinner. Hopefully I can blog about our cultural drinking learning experience tomorrow night. I might try to make it to the changing of the horse guards tomorrow if I get up in time. Oh and it was a gorgeous day today, the first good weather we have had. Trafalgar square was packed, and I took a picture of the Canadian embassy with all its flags waving. They are soo pumped about having the Olympics.
Monday night I studied for Macro a bit and then went to the Exmouth Arms for our student-negotiated drink specials. The bartenders there are awesome. Tuesday I didn't have work because of recess, so I stayed in all day and worked on a few papers and caught up on homework. Every time I heard the office talk about recess last week, I kept imagining my boss and the rest of Parliament shouting "Receeesssssss!!!" at the top of their lungs and running around the House of Commons with their arms flailing and everyone giggling loudly like they were in grade school. Sadly that's not how recess works here. I finally left the flats at about 6:30 to trek off to Hammersmith, a western suburb, for our show for theater class. TJ, David, and I misjudged the time it took to get all the way to the end of the tube line, and we had to sprint from the tube stop to the Lyric Hammersmith theatre to make it on time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ther are always complaints about Costas and the network coverage of the Olympics but we are enjoying it.
ReplyDelete